Paul L. Foster School of Medicine Leadership
Dr. Schydlower heads the Office of Admissions of the Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso and oversees the school's pipeline programs. He also serves as professor of pediatrics, and teaches adolescent medicine. He is the school's representative in the Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service advisory committee, and the Joint Admissions Medical Program council.
Prior to his present position, Dr. Schydlower served as the assistant dean for medical education at TTUHSC El Paso with oversight of medical student affairs, graduate medical education, continuing medical education, and directorship of the transitional year residency program. Before joining TTUHSC El Paso, Dr. Schydlower retired as a colonel from William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, Texas, where he served as chief of the department of clinical investigations, director of the combined medicine-pediatrics residency and director of the adolescent medicine fellowship programs. During part of his time in the military he also served as consultant to the army surgeon general in adolescent medicine. Dr. Schydlower is a past national president of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine (SAHM), and past national chairman of the Committee on Substance Abuse of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). He has chaired or served on several committees and task forces of the AAP and SAHM.
- B.A., Latin American Studies, University of Illinois, 1965
- M.D., University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 1971
- Internship, Pediatrics, Memorial Hospital University of California, Irvine (UCI) Affiliate, Long Beach, California, 1972
- Residency, Pediatrics, Orange County Medical Center and Children's Hospital of Orange County-UCI Affiliates, Orange, California, 1973
- Fellowship, Adolescent Medicine, Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, 1974
- Chairman, Committee on Substance Abuse, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1990-1995
- President, Society for Adolescent Medicine, 2001
- Chairman, Constitution Review Committee (ad hoc), Society for Adolescent Medicine, 2006-2007
- Associate Editor, Adolescent Medicine: State of the Art Reviews (AM:STAR); renamed Adolescent Medicine Clinics 2005-2007; renamed to original AM:STAR in 2007, 1988, 2008
- Chair, Texas Adolescent Mental Health in Primary Care Initiative, 2003, 2008
Honors and Awards
- Military include: Army Commendation (two oak-leaf clusters), Humanitarian Service, Achievement, Legion of Merit, Army Surgeon General Certificate of Achievement and Professional Designation, Order of Military Medical Merit.
- Citation for Outstanding Service in Council on Child and Adolescent Health and Chairman, Committee on Substance Abuse, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1995
- Commendation for Outstanding Contributions as Adolescent Health Section Program Chair and Adolescent Health Update Editorial Board Member, American Academy of Pediatrics, 1999
- Recognition of dedication and leadership, Society for Adolescent Medicine, 2002.
- Adele Dellenbaugh Hoffman Award for exemplary achievement in the field of adolescent health, American Academy of Pediatrics, 2007.
- Elected by peers, as one of the top clinicians in the area, to 2007, 2008 Best Doctors in America Inc.
- Selected by the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, for the 2009 James W. Bass Visiting Professorship.
- American Academy of Pediatrics - Fellow
- Society for Adolescent Medicine (Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine) - Fellow
- American Medical Association
- Texas Pediatric Society
- El Paso County Medical Society
Dr. Schydlower's research and publications have addressed several areas of pediatrics and adolescent health related to infectious diseases, pubertal development, and health risks.
Schydlower M., Lampe R (eds.) Infectious Diseases Update (Theme Issue). Adolescent Medicine: State of the Art Reviews 2000; Vol. II
Schydlower M., Heads up on Adolescent Health Care. Presidential address. Journal of Adolescent Health 2001; 29:73-76
Schydlower M., Adolescent Substance Use and Abuse: Current Issues. Texas Medicine 2002; 98:31-35
Schydlower M. (eds.), Substance Abuse, A Guide for Health Professionals. c 2002. 2nd ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village.
Schydlower M., Arredondo R. (eds.), Substance Abuse Among Adolescents (Theme Issue). Adolescent Medicine Clinics 2006; Vol. 17
Bitar G, Springer P, Gee R, Graff C, Schydlower M., Barriers and Facilitators of Adolescent Health in Primary Care: Perceptions of Primary Care Providers. Family Systems and Health - American Psychological Association 2009; 27 (4): 346-361
Podawiltz A., Richardson J., Gleason W., Fallon K., Jones D., Peck E., Rabek J., Schydlower M., Thomson W., Warne R., Mabry B., Hermesmeyer P., Smith Q., What the Joint Admissions Medical Program (JAMP) Can Do For Texas Physicians; What Texas Physicians Can Do For JAMP. Texas Medicine 2012; 108 (8); 57 http://www.texmed.org/template.aspx?id=25030
Member of AdHoc Working Group. Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and University of Texas at Austin College of Pharmacy. Psychotropic Medication utilization parameters for foster children. http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Protection/Medical_Services/guide-psychotropic.asp