Q: How competitive is the program?
A: Emergency medicine is a sought after residency and Texas Tech has a respected program. Although very competitive, there is always a place for qualified candidates.
Q: How many hours are each of your shifts?
A: Every shift in the ER is 12 hours.
Q: How many months do the residents work in the ER? What is the breakdown of shifts the residents work?
A: EM-1s do a total of 5 months in the ED
- 5 shifts (Orientation month) - 1 month
- 15 shifts (ER) - 2 months
- 19 shifts (ER) - 1 month
A: EM-2s do a total of 9 months in the ED
- 16 shifts (ER) - 7 months
- 16 shifts (Pediatric ER) - 1 month
- 18 shifts (ER) - 1 month
A: EM-3s do a total of 11 months in the ED
- 12 shifts (Administrative Month) - 1 month
- 15 shifts (ER) - 8 months
- 15 shifts (Pediatric ER) - 1 month
- 17 shifts - 1 month
Q: Does previous training make a difference?
A: Many programs do not match residents with prior training because of limitations in Medicare funding. Texas Tech feels that for many individuals prior training is a distinct advantage. We recruit individuals with prior training and are eager to have them apply for residency.
Q: What is your moonlighting policy?
A: At this time Texas Tech has a policy against external moonlighting. Currently the department does offer some additional education opportunities for residents that have proven competency on the ABEM in-service examination and have prior approval from the program director. These shifts are within the department and are limited to the same duty hour regulations.
Q: How To: Setup VPN on iPad
A: VPN iPad setup
- Navigate to 'Settings', then select 'General' and then select 'VPN'
- Under 'L2TP' enter the following information:
- Description: TTUHSC VPN
- Server: svpn.ttuhsc.edu
- Account: eRaider Username
- RSA SecurID: leave Off
- Password: eRaider password
- Secret: ttuhsc
- Send All Traffic: ON
- Proxy: Off
Q: How to: Setup TTUHSC VPN For Mac OSX
A: Click the 'Apple logo' icon in the top left of your menu bar and select System Preferences from the drop-down.
- The System Preferences window will open.
- Under Internet & Wireless click the Network icon.
- On the left, you will see all available network connections.
- Click on the '+' icon to add a connection.
- A new window will open up, for the Interface choose VPN from the drop-down.
- VPN Type: choose L2TP over IPSec
- Service Name: enter TTUHSC VPN
- Click 'Create'
- The TTUHSC VPN connection will now be listed in the left-hand column, next to Server Address: type svpn.ttuhsc.edu and next to Account Name: enter your eRaider username. Then click on Authentication Settings.
- Then under User Authentication: with Password selected type your eRaider password.
- Under Machine Authentication: with Shared Secret selected type ttuhsc then click 'OK'.
- Select the checkbox for Show VPN status in menu bar and then click 'Advanced'.
- Go to the Options tab and make sure Send all traffic over VPN connection is checked.
- Select the DNS tab and then under Search Domains click on the '+' icon to add an entry. Type in ttuhsc.edu and then click 'OK'.
- Click on 'Apply' to complete the setup
: On the top right of the menu bar there is a VPN icon that when you click on, will give you an option to connect to TTUHSC VPN. To disconnect
: On the top right of the menu bar there is a VPN icon that when you click on, will give you an option to disconnect from TTUHSC VPN.