Surgery Residency Program
"As per ACGME requirements, please be advised that the Residency Program in General Surgery at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. Foster School of Medicine-El Paso is a five (5)-year program."
Your completed application will be reviewed and if selected for interview, the Residency Program Coordinator will contact you. Only a certain number of applicants will be interviewed during the months of September through January. You may apply for both PGY-1 Categorical (3 positions) and PGY-1 Preliminary (3 positions) training. There is no "graduation date criteria” however, recent graduates are preferred.
Texas Tech participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
To apply for a resident position, applicants must submit the following through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS): No faxes will be considered.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Completed TTUHSC application or ERAS application
- Official medical school transcript
- Dean's letter from the medical school of graduation
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Copy of ABSITE reports if residency/fellowship experience
- Medical school diploma
- Applicant must have passed the United States Medical Licensing Examination
At the discretion of the Program, prior US experience may or may not be required. If you do have prior residency/fellowship experience, a letter from current Program Director is required outlining the following: written verification of previous educational experiences and a summative competency-based performance evaluation of rotations completed, evaluations or various educational experiences, procedural/operative experience and current standing.
Step I & Step II (USMLE: Clinical knowledge and clinical skills) with a score of 190 or higher. Must have passed both Step I & Step II on first attempt. COMLEX accepted.
Note to international medical graduates:
- Must be a Permanent Resident, US Citizen or hold a J1 Visa (EADs must apply for J-1 - No exceptions)
- If the document is foreign language, an official word-for-word translation on official letterhead stationery must be provided. It must be prepared by any of the following: Government official, official translation agency College/University official
- ECFMG Certification is required upon submission of ERAS application
If you have any further questions, Residency Program Coordinator at (915) 215-5324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org