Admission to the Summer Accelerated Biomedical Research (SABR) Program
The GSBS offers undergraduate students the opportunity to become part of our school through our SABR program.
The SABR program is a 10-week paid internship. The program is an excellent educational opportunity with a commitment to fostering our interns' interest in science and research. The program is intended for undergraduate students who wish to gain more research experience before entering graduate school.
The program introduces interns to a full-time work schedule; this can be a first-time experience for many. During the 10 weeks of the program, interns are exposed to the life of a graduate student while learning to become more independent and autonomous. Along the way, interns will be assisted by their mentor, graduate students, other lab staff members, and the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS administration.
- Complete and submit an online application prior to the application closing date.
- Application period: Sept. 1, 2018 through March 29, 2019.
- Supporting documents:
- Personal essay stating your reasons for applying to the program.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Copies of unofficial transcript(s) from all accredited U.S. colleges and universities attended must be submitted.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the GSBS main office with any questions or concerns: GSBSEP@ttuhsc.edu or 915-215-4157
All applicants should allow ample time for required supporting documents to be received and added to their application file. Applicants will not be considered for evaluation until the GSBS main office receives all support documents.
Please send all required documents to:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Office of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Medical Science Building I, Room 1005B
5001 El Paso Drive
El Paso TX 79905
Applicants are encouraged to contact the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS for any questions or concerns at GSBSEP@ttuhsc.edu.
All applicants should allow ample time for required support documents to be received and added to the application file. Applicants will not be considered for evaluation until the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS Office receives all your documents.
- The SABR program begins the last week of May and ends the first week of August.
- Interns who successfully complete the TTUHSC El Paso SABR program and wish to apply to one of our academic programs may be eligible for an application fee waiver at the dean’s discretion.
- A typical workweek will consist of at least 40 hours, sometimes more, depending on experiments conducted. Interns will work with a mentor to create a daily/weekly schedule for experiments and research.
- The SABR program is a full-time commitment. Interns will be unable to concurrently take summer school classes or work a second job.
- At the end of the 10-week program, interns are required to participate in a Final Research Presentation.
- Former SABR interns are not eligible to re-apply.