Master of Science
Admission to the M.S. in Biomedical Sciences Program
Thank you for your interest in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso (TTUHSC El Paso) Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS).
The admission process for the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS is more than just an application. To ensure that applicants can succeed in a graduate program, an applicant’s personal qualities, work experience, and ability to work with different ideas and personalities within a program are also important admission factors.
Admission to the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS is granted by the dean of the school upon the recommendation of the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS Admissions Committee and/or the program faculty.
- Apply online
- Complete and submit an online application prior to the application closing date.
- Deadline to apply is May 20, 2017
- Pay the non-refundable $45 application fee for each application submitted.
- Oath of Residency through the online application system.
- Written essay through the online application, stating your reasons for applying to your chosen program.
- Two letters of recommendation are required through the online application system. The reference letters must be sent from the author's institutional or work email. Reference letters and forms submitted by the applicant are not acceptable.
- Official GRE score reports are required. Score reports or additional information about GRE must be sent directly from the Education Testing Service, gre.org. Photocopies of GRE scores are not accepted.
- The TTUHSC El Paso Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences code is 7452
- Scores must not be more than 5 years old.
- Email GSBSEP@ttuhsc.edu for instructions to request the use of an score MCAT in lieu of the GRE.
Please send all required documents to:
TTUHSC El Paso
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
MSB 1, room 1005B
5001 El Paso Drive
El Paso, TX 79905
Applicants are encouraged to contact the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS Office of Admissions for any questions or concerns at GSBSEP@ttuhsc.edu.
All applicants should allow ample time for required support documents to be received and added to the application file. Applicants will not be considered for evaluation until the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS Office receives all your documents.
- Applications must be completed and submitted by the application closing date. Only submitted applications with all required support documents can be considered for admission.
- A non-refundable processing fee of $45 is required for all applicants. The processing fee can be paid online by credit card. Applications for graduate programs will not be considered unless accompanied by the processing fee.
- Applicants that participated in our Summer Accelerated Biomedical Research (SABR) internship, under the discretion of the dean, are eligible for an application fee waiver.
- Applicants that participated in our Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program and want to apply to our master’s program, under the discretion of the dean, are eligible for an application fee waiver.
- M.S. applicants, including immigrant permanent residents, are required to submit official transcripts of all previous and current college level studies and that show the completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- If you are an immigrant permanent resident, you must provide a copy of the front and back of your green card, as well as an Oath of Residency if you are claiming Texas residency for tuition purposes.
- Immunization documentation must be provided prior to matriculation. Provisions for immunization requirements and implementation procedures for all TTUHSC El Paso employees, volunteers, and students come under HSC OP 75.11.
- A $50 placement guarantee fee is required upon an offer of admissions.
The M.S. in Biomedical Sciences provides foundational coursework in the areas of biochemistry, cell biology, and genetics in addition to elective courses that explore specialized topics, recent advances, and current literature within the field of biomedical sciences.
The diverse laboratory environments, as well as access to the newest technological equipment and research techniques, help to emphasize the superior and competitive training environment within the Department of Biomedical Sciences.
Furthermore, students will be expected to engage in a mentored research project, as well as publication(s) for prominent peer-reviewed scientific journals.