Admission to the Summer Accelerated Biomedical Research Program (SABR)
Thank you for your interest in the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso (TTUHSC El Paso) Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS).
The TTUHSC El Paso Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences offers undergraduate students the opportunity to become a part of our institution through our Summer Accelerated Biomedical Research (SABR) Program.
Our faculty are always involved in many relevant and interesting research areas. As such, the SABR Program is an excellent educational opportunity with a commitment to fostering our interns' desire for science and research. The program is intended for undergraduate students or current graduates (with no graduate course-work) who wish to gain more research experience before entering graduate school.
The SABR Program introduces interns to a full-time work schedule; this can be a first-time experience for many. During the 10 weeks of the program, interns are exposed to the life of a graduate student while learning to become more independent and autonomous. Along the way, interns will be helped by their mentor, graduate students, other lab staff members, and the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS administration.
- Apply online
- Complete and submit an online application prior to the application closing date.
- Application period opens September 1, 2017 and closes March 19, 2018.
- Written essay through the online application, stating your reasons for applying to the program.
- Two letters of reference are required through the online application system. The reference letters have to be sent from the author's institutional or work email. Reference letters and forms submitted by the applicant are not acceptable.
- Copy of transcript(s) from all universities attended.
Please send all required documents to:
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Office of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Medical Science Building I, Room 1005B
5001 El Paso Drive
El Paso TX 79905
Applicants are encouraged to contact the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS for any questions or concerns at GSBSEP@ttuhsc.edu.
All applicants should allow ample time for required support documents to be received and added to the application file. Applicants will not be considered for evaluation until the TTUHSC El Paso GSBS Office receives all your documents.
- Only complete and submitted applications will be considered for admission.
- The 2018 SABR Program begins on May 28 and continues through Aug. 3.
- Applicants who participate in the El Paso SABR program and wish to apply to one of our academic programs may be eligible for an application fee waiver, at the discretion of the dean.
- A typical workweek will consist of at least 40 hours, sometimes more if your experiments require. Night or weekend hours may be necessary. Interns will work with a mentor to create a daily/weekly schedule for experiments and research.
- Due to the large amount of time spent in the lab each week, interns will be unable to concurrently take summer school classes or work a second job.
- At the end of the 10 week program, interns are required to participate in a Final Research Presentation on Aug. 4.
- Most importantly, our SABR Program is meant for you to learn new ideas and techniques, meet new friends, and to have a great summer!
Previous SABR interns are not eligible to apply.