Advanced Standing Admissions Application
Thank you for your interest in our school. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Paul L. School of Medicine accepts a limited number of advanced standing students when space is available. Eligible applicants who are acceptable for consideration may be invited for an interview.
Guidelines for Eligibility
- Applicants who are legal residents of Texas are preferred. Applicants who are not Texas residents may be considered based on space-availability within the 10% limit for out-of-state residents in class size.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled or achieved credits as a student in good standing in a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- The applicant must have completed at least 90 hours of undergraduate work in a fully accredited U.S. or Canadian school.
- The applicant must have completed the second year of medical school. Advanced placement into the fourth year is not considered.
- Applicants from related fields such as dentistry, or those who have taken medical basic science courses as a graduate student, may be considered on an individual basis, but may be required to apply as a first year student regardless of the degree field.
- A student who has been dismissed from or has withdrawn from another medical school is not eligible for consideration unless the former school indicates in writing its willingness to reconsider the student for admission.
- The applicant must have taken and passed Step 1 of the USMLE exam and submitted a letter of withdrawal from their current school before beginning the third year curriculum, if accepted to Paul L. Foster School of Medicine.
Requirements for Application
- A completed application must be received by no later than April 15.
- Applicants must clearly state in their personal statement the reason for their request for advanced standing admission.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate colleges, graduate schools, and medical schools must be submitted.
- All applicants must have official MCAT scores forwarded to the Texas Tech University Health Science Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine.
- A letter of recommendation and evaluation must be submitted by the dean or the dean of student affairs of the school where the applicant is currently enrolled. At least two letters of recommendations are required.
Advanced Standing Application
Please mail completed application to:
TTUHSC El Paso
Paul L. Foster School of Medicine
Attn: Office of Admissions
5001 El Paso Dr.
El Paso, TX 79905