Texas Tech University System Facial Covering Policy
The TTU System and its component institutions (“University”) require all members of the University Community (students, faculty, staff, visitors, vendors and contractors) to wear protective face coverings1 on University campuses or in University facilities as provided below:
- In common areas2 on campus including, but not limited to, classrooms and other spaces used for teaching, research, and creative activity, Student Union, libraries, hallways, elevators, stairwells, restrooms, break rooms, foyers, event rooms and lobbies;
- In patient care units, ambulatory clinic spaces, or procedural areas; or
- Other areas where physical distancing of at least 6 feet is not maintained. Even when physical distancing of at least 6 feet can be maintained, face coverings are strongly recommended.
- When eating or drinking, which should still be conducted maintaining physical distance;
- In accordance with applicable law (e.g., an accommodation, including for medical reasons, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), or pursuant to a bona fide religious belief);
- For children under the age of 2 years old; or
- By an instructor/presenter in a classroom or event room when a physical distance of at least 6 feet can be maintained from the class members/audience.
With prior University approval, units and departments may set other reasonable guidelines and policies that are particularly tailored to their specific workplace, healthcare, or learning environment (e.g., residence halls, recreation centers, athletics facilities, performance venues, research facilities, medical clinics).
Although failure to comply with this facial covering policy may lead to disciplinary action, efforts will first be made to educate members of the University Community of the need for facial coverings to control the spread of COVID-19. Warning will be given before disciplinary action is taken.
1 For more information about face covering guidelines from the CDC, please see:
2 Common areas do not include, and therefore facial coverings are not required in, individual offices or office suites where social distancing of at least 6 feet can be maintained.