General FAQs

  • How can I contact the GGHSON?

210 North Concepcion
El Paso, Texas 79905

  • How do I get to the GGHSON?
    TTUHSC El Paso Campus Map

  • Is the GGHSON accredited?
    The baccalaureate degree in nursing at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education: www.ccneaccreditation.org.

The master's degree program in nursing at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Gayle Greve Hunt School of Nursing is pursuing initial accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education: www.ccneaccreditation.org.

Applying for accreditation does not guarantee that accreditation will be granted.

Admission FAQs

  • What does a competitive GGHSON M.S.N. applicants look like?
    Each applicant is unique, but there are some features that many successful students share. In addition to demonstrating academic excellence and aptitude for demanding graduate coursework, successful candidates can clearly articulate the role for which they are applying and demonstrate an understanding of both the daily responsibilities as well as prominent issues for the practice of nursing. The Admissions Committee reviews each component of the application and considers the applicant’s potential for leadership and advancing practice through scholarship, service, and education.

  • Is there an expiration on previous coursework?
    All previous coursework will be considered. The M.S.N. curriculum will build on foundational science and nursing courses and therefore, your continued understanding of covered material is critical. This is especially important if coursework was completed more than five years prior to applying to the M.S.N. program.

  • Does the GGHSON require any prerequisite courses?
    Yes. All applicants are required to have completed a three-semester-credit-hour or four-quarter-credit-hour Statistics course at an accredited college or university. Please see Admissions Requirements.

  • Can I take the prerequisite course at a community college or online?
    Yes. The prerequisite course can be completed at any regionally accredited college, university, or community college.
  • Must I have completed the prerequisite course prior to applying to the GGHSON?
    No, but evidence of successful completion will be required prior to starting coursework.

  • If I do not have a bachelor’s in nursing, may I still apply?
    Please contact the GGHSON Office of Student Affairs for additional information.

  • Is the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) required?
    Not at this time.

  • What types of recommendation letters should I get for my application?
    Each applicant is evaluated individually and recognized as having a variety of work, educational, and personal experiences. Three professional recommendation letters attesting to the applicant’s ability to complete academic requirements and demonstrate professional competencies and personal character are required. Appropriate reference sources include faculty members, professional colleagues, or work supervisors who understand the demands of a graduate program and can speak to the applicant’s potential for success.

  • Is there an application deadline?

    Yes.  Please visit How to Apply for additional information.

  • Is financial aid available?
    Yes. Applicants interested in applying for financial aid (student loans, grants, etc.) must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http:/www.fafsa.ed.gov. To be eligible for scholarships offered by the GGHSON, you are required to have a completed FAFSA on file.

  • Are scholarship opportunities available?
    Yes. Contact the GGHSON Office of Student Affairs for additional information.

  • Should I contact the admissions office to set up a personal interview?
    No. Once your application is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee, invitations to interview will be offered to qualifying applicants by the Office of Student Affairs. Representatives of the Office of Student Affairs will arrange interview dates and times.
  • If I am offered admission, can I defer my acceptance to another semester?
    If you are concerned about your ability to start in the semester admitted, please contact the GGHSON Office of Student Affairs.

Program-specific FAQs

  • Is full-time study available?
    Not at this time. The M.S.N. program is designed as a part-time (six academic-credit-hours per semester) program of study offered in a hybrid format.

  • What is a hybrid format?
    As defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, a hybrid program has a majority (more than 50 percent, but less than 85 percent) of its planned instruction when students and instructor(s) are not in the same physical location.

  • Will I be required to come to campus?
    Yes. On-campus intensives lasting two- to-three days over several semesters are required during the program. These on-campus intensives allow students to engage in activities that are best to be completed in a face-to-face format with faculty and content experts. See the M.S.N. degree plan for more information.

  • Will I be required to enroll in courses over the summer session?
    Yes. The program is designed for seven consecutive semesters, with students enrolling in six academic-credit-hours per semester.

  • What is the cost of the program?
    Estimated tuition and fees are available at http://elpaso.ttuhsc.edu/fiscal/businessaffairs/studentbusserv/resources/tuition-and-fee-estimates.

Contact Student Business Services at 915-215-5680 or email at SBSElp@ttuhsc.edu with any questions.